We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The brush cutter is not a tool that is used a lot inside the vegetable garden, if there is a need to remove the weed in the flower beds it is better to uproot it by hand or with a hoe because to prevent it from regrowing, the entire root must be removed.
However, it is a fundamental tool for cutting the grass around the cultivated area, anyone who has a vegetable garden will have found himself having to do this. For this it may be useful to say a few words on how to use it effectively and safely.
Like all power tools, you can get hurt without the necessary precautions, and incorrect use can damage the tool. It is therefore necessary to know when and how to work with this machine.
What to cut with the brush cutter
The brush cutter is useful for cutting the grass around the perimeter of the vegetable garden, in particular the parts near the fences, small lawns, areas left to rest and slightly steep slopes.
- Turf. A lawn mower is generally used to cut the well-tended grass of a garden, the edges can be trimmed with the trimmer at low speeds. Small flower beds, on the other hand, can be completely cleared.
- Meadow. The brush cutter is ideal for cutting grass in meadows or pastures, if the grass is dense or very high, it is better to have a powerful "dece", with good displacement, as well as a rather sturdy line.
- Edge cutting. Where motor mowers and lawn mowers do not arrive, we work with the brushcutter: next to walls, near fences, around plants.
- Banks, escarpments and edges of canals: in steep areas the brushcutter is the ideal solution, because it is a handy tool.
- Brambles, undergrowth and small shrubs. The brush cutter also cuts young plants and brambles, if the diameter increases and the shrubs are more woody they can be tackled with a blade brush cutter. However, we must avoid cutting timber or overgrown plants. for these cases there is the chainsaw.
- Crops intended for green manure. If you practice the green manure technique, that is to enrich the soil with nutrients by growing a preparatory crop that will then be mowed and buried, you can use a brush cutter to cut the green manure plants before tilling them.
Precautions in use
Like many tools it must be taken into account that the brush cutter can be dangerous if not used correctly. First you need to protect yourself: it is good to wear adequate protective clothing, in particular the visor to repair the face and headphones are essential in order not to be deafened by the roar of the internal combustion engine.
The risk is to get hurt, but also to damage people or things: all gardeners have experience of car windows or glass broken by stones hit by the wire of this tool.
To avoid damage, there are some things you shouldn't do when using a brush cutter:
- Do not smoke: you are using a power tool with a full tank of fuel.
- Do not cut metal or rigid objects and plants that are too large and woody.
- Avoid stones, which can splash.
- Do not touch wires or nets with the rotating head in operation, otherwise they will twist around them.
- Do not try to change the thread or take apart parts of the machine with the engine running.
Some tricks of the trade
To find out how to start the brushcutter just read the instructions for your model, while using it well you get carried away with experience. Here are some useful tips that can help beginners.
Blade or wire. The trimmer head has a large cutting area, but to be effective in thick grass it requires you to start cutting with good acceleration, if the grass is very dense you can find it better with a blade cutting head. For even fine shrubs and brambles it is better to choose the wire, you work with greater speed and safety.
The right movement. Generally you proceed to cut with a movement of the head on both sides, if the grass is dense it is useful to give a pass and then a brush on the same area, in the return passage the level of the cut is lowered, obtaining a cleaner job . Working on embankments it is better to cut by proceeding along the coast of the shore, avoiding climbs and descents. You start from below and try to cut by letting the grass fall down, in this way the mowing does not hinder the area still to be done.
How much to speed up. If you cut with a line head, you need to give constant acceleration while cutting, in general it is still better not to stress the engine too much, so at the end of the swath you have to decelerate. For efficient work, the grass must be approached after reaching a good speed in turning.
How to do good maintenance
To keep the brushcutter operational and efficient and to allow the engine and transmission to last for a long time, it is necessary to carry out periodic maintenance of the tool. Operations such as cleaning the air filter or greasing the bevel gear are of great importance. The first tip is to read the dedicated chapters on the user manual of your model, you can then deepen the routine maintenance operations by reading the small guide of Orto Da Coltivare.
Choose the brush cutter
Choosing a brushcutter is a long story, it depends on what types of jobs you are facing and how frequently you plan to use the tool. Below you can find some models of brushcutters analyzed, which I can recommend.
Echo SRM 236 Tesl